Thursday, September 13, 2012

Post-Reading Week2

I would define race and ethnicity as ideas that the human race created in order to be able to belong to somewhere and also be able to seperate people into different groups based on looks and cultural aspects. The fact that they are social constructs makes it easy for people to become confused and use each word in the wrong context. I used to think that they meant the same thing until I took this class. I always asked someone what race they were and never really used the word ethnicity. Confusing between these words can easily happen especially when they are so closely related. Race is more defined in a way that it basically means a person is a certain race based on what we assume from their physical appearance. Ethnicity is defined by looking at the persons beliefs and whether or not they fit into certain groups. I definitely believe that everyone should be able to define their own race and ethnicity because it should be defined by who they FEEL they are not by what society THINKS they are. It can mean the world to some people to be able to define their own race and not have to live by what people say they are just because they look a certain way. People always connect biology with race because of the assumptions that the meaning of race is basically how a person looks. It's crazy to think that just because a person looks a certain way then that is what they are. It is even more crazy to me to think that just because a person looks a certain way then that means they can do certain things too. Stereotypes have gotten to the point where people are thinking they are true for everyone. Most people don't even bother to ask what race or ethnicity I am. They always just assume I am mexican just because I have tan skin. I have had people just start talking spanish to me assuming I would understand it. Although I am mexican, I do not speak spanish. I have also had people just assume that I can play soccer and that I am really good at it just because of the fact that I am mexican. Stereotypes like this make me frustrated sometimes because people may surprise you. Just because a person looks a certain way does not mean that that is who they are. 

Word Count: 406

3 comments:

  1. Hi Justina,
    I definitely agree with you about the importance of self-identification, it really is a matter of liberation! I also think the fact that people aren't often allowed to name their own race, their race is decided by other people. We know that the creation of race is linked to eugenics, so it makes sense that racial categories, as defined from the outside, can be oppressive. I also appreciate your connection between stereotypes and how people practice racial categorizations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Juatina, im making sure i can comment. Ill say something later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Justina! I agree with your statement about race and ethnicity. I have had a similar experience using the word and ethnicity and for some reason i thought they were somewhat the same, now that i have taken this class i have a better understanding as well. I think many of us confuse the two because were not aware of "other" or ethnicities in society, and the society doesnt really talk about it unless its the something we see often like the "norm". I also agree with you on how everyone should be able to define their race and ethnicity and not base race and ethnicity by what the society see's us as or think we should be defined as by our physical appearances and personal beliefs. I think since the society has been taught to define someone by the color of their skin, and i think this is where the confusion, assumtions, and stereotypes occurs.

    ReplyDelete