Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pre-Thinking Blog Week of Sept 3rd

     When I think of Ethnic Studies I would think it is a class about learning about ethnicities. For example, learning about what defines your ethnicity and who you are. I am not exactly sure what Ethnic Studies is. So far I have learned that it is not just about defining ethnicity it also focus on issues that deal with problems of ethnicity and race. You learn about the difference between what ethnicity and race means. The class can also focus on problems different ethnicities have or are facing throughout the existence of this world. The possibilities are really endless. I think everyone can benefit from taking an Ethnic Studies class because it can be eye opening to issues around the world that have not yet been dealt with. It is also just good for everyone to learn a little bit about different cultures and ethnicities to have an open mind about people around the world. I think people who do not know a lot about their ethnicity or heritage can definitely benefit from this class as well. The class might be able to help answer some unanswered questions for that person and helped them get in touch with the place and heritage that is a part of them and always will be. For instance, I do not know a lot about my heritage and feel that it is important to learn as much as I can because it is who I am. If people do not learn where about where they came from and their ethnicity I feel that at some point later on in the future everyone will start to lose touch with who they really are. Then what is to become of our diversity on this Earth? or just in America alone? I also feel that this class can be helpful to everyone because it is good to know the difference between the meaning of race and ethnicity. Some people who aren't knowledgeable about these words can use them in the wrong text and possibly offend someone. With this class, people can be more knowledgeable about the things that they say. People can become more cautious about being offensive to other ethnicity's and treating everyone with respect. I hope at the end of this semester I will be able to elaborate more on what exactly and Ethnic Studies class is. I also hope that I will take something valuable away from this class that I can use to help me move forward in my future. 

Word Count: 415

1 comment:

  1. Hi Justina,
    I definitely agree with you that Ethnic Studies is more than just learning about other people's cultures, but also focussing on issues of race and ethnicity. These patterns of oppression and justice are what band all of the studies of different groups together.
    I hope that this class does act as a gateway for you to learn more about your culture and background- or at least give you the resources to find out more! What do you think the connections between people being knowledgeable about their own cultures, and issues of racism might be? It seems like the legislators in Arizona think that Mexican-American students taking Ethnic Studies classes to learn about their culture will promote racism- what do you think about this stance?
    --eas

    ReplyDelete